Wednesday, March 9, 2016

One of the Saddest Times of the Year...

photo courtesy of Griszka Niewiadomski
   Well folks, we're fast approaching one of the saddest times of the year, Daylight Savings Time: "Spring Forward" your clock by one hour on March 13th at 2AM. We will lose an hour. I am filled with a certain measure of bitterness and angst when it's time to "spring forward" one hour, and think of all the ways I could use that extra hour that is being stolen from me. It's really difficult for a person who almost constantly "feels behind" to "spring forward." Just when I get all cozied up to that hour that was returned to me in November 1 from earlier in March of that year, it's ripped away from me. The insanity. The madness. The angst. Goodbye, one hour of my life that won't be returned to me until November. I'll miss you.

QUICK FACTS:
~In the US, Arizona and Hawaii are the only 2 states that don't have to abide in the constant cycle of "falling back" and "springing forward." No mind games with their clocks, their internal body clocks, no sirree. You lucky pups.
~We have President Lyndon Johnson to thank for this Daylight Savings Time thingy, who is responsible for establishing this time shift continuum aka: The Uniform Time Act in 1966. Ben Franklin conceived this whole idea  waaaay back in 1784.
~Nearly 70 countries participate in Daylight Savings Time.
~Some of the proposed reasons of why we even participate in this time ritual are: fewer accidents happen during daylight hours, so this is an attempt to extend the daylight hours by making this adjustment twice a year; to save energy/electricity costs; it is agriculturally more beneficial; Doctor Who made a little oops many, many years ago (okay, that last one was my theory).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question, thought, comment? Don't be shy, I love to hear from my readers, go ahead!